The Madison County Courthouse, designed in Thomas Jefferson’s Roman Revival style, was built in 1830. In 2007, a major renovation restored the buildings, improved security, and incorporated ADA compliance. Driving the project was a requirement to maintain both the character of the courthouse site and the historic fabric of the courthouse and adjacent 1815 Clerk’s Building.
2RW provided MEP/FP design for the 2007 courthouse restoration and the addition of a juvenile and domestic relations courtroom. The design included an FM200 fire synthetic/chemical suppression system for the dedicated archival and file storage space to protect important documents.
2RW worked carefully to incorporate highly efficient, state-of-the-art heating and cooling, lighting, and ADA compliance into the renovated space, without affecting the building’s historic integrity.
OWNER: Madison County, VA
TIMEFRAME: 2007 – 2010
SIZE: 18,000 SF
COST: $7 million
FM200, a synthetic/chemical fire suppression gas that extinguishes fire in 10 seconds or less and eliminates water damage that can be caused by traditional sprinkler system.