The Jefferson School is a landmark building that served as the region’s first African-American School. It was built in four phases from 1926 to 1959 and is listed as a historic property in the City of Charlottesville. During this renovation, painstaking care was taken to maintain the historic integrity and significance of the building, for what is now known as the Jefferson School City Center.
The Center is now home to a variety of cultural, educational, and civic groups. The building’s two largest tenants are the Jefferson School African-American Heritage Center and the Carver Recreation Center.
2RW provided MEP engineering and construction administration for:
OWNER: Jefferson Community Partnership, LLC
TIMEFRAME: 2007 – 2012
SIZE: 75,000 SF
COST: $18 million
“The design team was wonderful to work with throughout—the process was a model in that regard—and the results are an outstanding legacy for Charlottesville and Virginia.”
Kathleen Kilpatrick, Director, Virginia Department of Historic Resources