The Halifax County Courthouse, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, was built in 1838 and houses records dating back to 1752. Renovations and additions to the historic building and 1960s annex will modernize the building, create new court facilities, and provide better space for archival records.
2RW designed MEP/FP engineering systems for a three-story addition and the complete renovation of the historic courthouse and annex. The design incorporated an FM200 synthetic/chemical fire suppression system for the dedicated archival and file storage space to protect important documents.
2RW will be providing construction administration, with construction expected to be complete in 2020.
OWNER: County of Halifax
TIMEFRAME: 2016 – 2020 (projected)
SIZE: 51,439 SF
COST: $14.8 million